SBox Ghost Scanner + Recorder
The SBox Ghost Scanner is a spirit box radio frequency sweep scanner and recorder for paranormal research. SBox includes many other features to aid in making your investigations easier while providing quality evidence documentation.
- Automatic FM/AM Radio Sweep + Spike Detect
- Record & Playback Radio Sweep and EVP Audio
- Adjustable Sweep Speed Control
- Rechargeable Battery and Long Life
- SD Card Port for Recording (32GB Max)
- Forward or Reverse Sweep Direction
- Loud, Amplified Speaker (10x power) and Headphone Port
- Backlit Display and Built-in Flashlight
- Bluetooth Connection for Use as a Wireless Speaker
SBox is a NEW spirit box built specifically for paranormal investigations with features we need. It's a compact and easy to use tool for communication with paranormal entities. SBox utilizes radio frequency sweeps to generate white noise from existing FM and AM bands which theories suggest may provide an entity the energy they need to be heard. When this occurs you may hear voices or sounds coming through the static in their attempt to communicate.
VIDEO: Sbox Ghost Scanner Review and Overview of Features
Radio Sweep with Spike Detect
SBox allows you to use FM or AM band sweeps for potential communication with an entity. You can now control the speed of the sweep and direction at any time, forward and backward. As an additional features, SBox will detect if something is attempting to come through during the sweep and will pause on that frequency for a moment more to allow more time for getting a message through. This allows you the opportunity to hear more than one syllable to capture multiple words and maybe even a full sentence.
Record and Playback
Record your ghost box sessions through a direct line and play back using the loud built-in speaker. You can also choose to record normal EVP audio without the radio sweep if you choose. Either option records directly to an SD card (available as an add-on). You can playback right on the device or take the SD card to your computer or any other SD card reading device.
NOTE: a Micro SD card is REQUIRED for record and playback. These are available as an add-on above. Maximum size for the SD card is 32GB which will get you through many hours and several investigations.
Rechargeable Long-Life battery
The built in battery lasts up to 6 hours of continuous use on a single charge. It can be recharged using any USB charger including a mobile USB battery pack for a quick boost. Carry it with a battery pack or plug it into a wall outlet for unlimited use. It's easy, quick and saves money on batteries. Note: some functions eat up battery life. See specs for details.
Loud, Amplified Speaker and Headphone Port
There's no need to an external speaker with this device. It includes a large, amplified built-in speaker made to be heard well even in a large room. If you really want it louder, there is an audio output jack which you can attach to another audio device including headphones. Grab a set of headphones when you want a more discreet session without interrupting other investigators. SBox can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker when connected to another Bluetooth-enabled device.
Backlight and Flashlight
SBox has a red LCD lighted display. We prefer to use red when possible to help maintain the investigator's night vision. The display indicates battery life and status of the device which varies for each mode. There is also a built-in white LED flashlight for when you need to shed a little light on the situation.
The SBox was built to EVOLVE. As we learn, grow and adapt as investigators, so can the SBox. We built it with the ability to make software changes that you can download and update yourself based on preferences you feel work best for you. This also allows us to add and adjust features without purchasing a new unit. We are working on these based on YOUR FEEDBACK. We can provide you with a file for download with instruction on how to easily update your SBox.
Same features as 1.3 with minor adjustment in speed control and battery indication.
(pre-loaded on units starting 1/15/19)
Adjustable speed control.
(pre-loaded on units starting 11/20/18. created: 11/20/18)
Slow scanning speed with Spike Detect.
(original pre-loaded version. created: 10/8/18)
Fast scanning speed.
(pre-loaded on units starting 11/13/18. created: 11/1/18)
IMPORTANT: If you would like to update or use a legacy firmware version, please CONTACT US FIRST so we can provide the proper file needed for the update. Each update file is dependent on what version you currently have. If you use the incorrect update file, your unit could be unrecoverable.
HOW to find what version you have: 1) Turn on the SBox. 2) Press the FILE button located on the front, bottom-left most button with a file icon. The display will show the version number (example: V1.6). If this button does not work, the version is prior to 1.3.
- Faraday Wallet - place SBox or SB7 inside this pouch to remove any outside FM/AM broadcast.
- Protective Gear Pouch - padded nylon case with velcro, carabiner and belt loop for carrying ease.
- Micro SD Card - required for recording and playback of audio. Select the option above in ACCESSORIES prior to checkout.
- Faraday Pouch - place SBox or SB7 inside this pouch to remove any outside FM/AM broadcast.
- USB Battery Pack - for when you need an extra charge on the go.
This product is made right here at GhostStop.
- Rechargeable and replaceable long life lithium ion battery
- 3-Watt (3,000mW) amplified speaker built in (over 10x the power in popular spirit boxes)
- FM scan range: 87.5 - 108.0 / AM scan range: 522 - 1710
- Adjustable sweep speed control - 4 different speeds +1 bonus speed while recording with firmware version 1.3 or higher (Speed 1 = ~100ms | Speed 2 = ~200ms | Speed 3 = ~300ms | Speed 4 = ~400ms | Bonus Speed 1 while recording = ~500ms)
- Red LCD display to preserve night vision
- Scratch resistant coating
- Precision volume control wheel
- Micro SD card slot for recording and playback (32GB max)
- Onboard white LED flashlight
- Headphone port USB data port for file transfer/sharing
- USB charging port
- Antenna extends to 15" and folds back into place (4" when retracted)
- Wrist strap with connected stand
- USB data and charging cables included
Battery LifeThe built in battery lasts up to 6 hours of continuous use on a single charge. It can be recharged using any USB charger including a mobile USB battery pack for a quick boost. Carry it with a battery pack or plug it into a wall outlet for unlimited use. It's easy, quick and saves money on batteries. Recording function and speaker volume does drain battery depending on settings: louder drains more power.
NOTE: We suggest taking the battery out of the SBox when storing. Since the flashlight is always in a 'standby mode' even when the unit is off, it does drain the battery very slightly over time. So, if SBox is stored for some time in a case, even with a full charge, it will come out with a drained battery.
Battery Tests:6 hours in standby (no scanning) 6 hours scanning using headphones 4.5 hours scanning with speaker at volume 15 3.75 hours scanning and recording with speaker at volume 15 3.75 hours scanning with speaker volume at 25
- USB charger cable (white)
- USB data cable (black)
- Wrist strap with stand
- Printed manual
4 Micro SD Card Slot (32GB max)
7 Headphone Port
8 USB Port
9 Charging/Aux Input Port
11 Scan Reverse or Scan Slower
12 Loop File / Play All
14 Delete File
15 Scan Forward or Scan Faster
QUICK START GUIDE
- Charge before use. (see charging instructions)
- Turn device on using ON/OFF slider button (2).
- Press SCAN (13) to begin FM Scan Forward.
- Press RECORD (16) to record (requires SD card). Press RECORD (16) again to stop recording.
- Turn device off using ON/OFF slider button (2).
POWER & CHARGINGSBox is powered by a rechargeable battery. To charge the device use the provided USB charging cable (WHITE) to connect to a USB power source. This could be a computer with a USB power, USB power strip or USB battery pack for quick mobile power. When charging the flashlight LED will show red and will turn off once complete. To plug the device into a AC power outlet, you will need to use a USB to AC power adapter (not provided). When SBox is powered on you will see a battery icon to the left of the display indicating battery life.
NOTE: We suggest taking the battery out of the SBox when storing. Since the flashlight is always in a 'standby mode' even when the unit is off, it does drain the battery very slightly over time. Given that, if SBox is stored away with a full charge for some time it will come out with a drained battery.
MODESTo change modes press the MODE button (17). When switching modes you will hear a verbal queue to indicate each mode as follows. It may take a moment to switch modes.
- SCANNING FM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the FM band.
- SCANNING AM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the AM band.
- LINE IN
This mode allows you to plug in an audio device to use the SBox as an external wired speaker. Use the provided 3.5 audio-to-microUSB cable to connect another compatible audio device.
This mode allows you to connect a bluetooth audio device to use the SBox as an external wireless speaker.
This mode allows you to play recorded spirit box sessions and other audio files on the memory card or from a USB drive.
SCANNINGPress SCAN (13) to start and stop the sweep.
To change sweep direction: while the scan is stopped hold REVERSE (11) for 2 seconds to sweep in the reverse direction or hold FORWARD (15) to sweep forward. If a sweep is already active you must press SCAN (13) again to stop the current sweep and resume in the desired direction.
To change sweep speed (available only on firmware V1.3): press FORWARD (15) to make the scan faster or REVERSE (11) to make the scan slower. You will see a number display quickly on the screen "1-4". This indicates the speed where 1 is the slowest and 4 is the fastest. You can do this while sweeping or even when it's paused.
Press RECORD (16) to record sweep audio.
RECORDTo record sweep or EVP audio you must first insert a micro SD card into the port at the top of the device (4). Make sure to face it in the proper direction to insert properly. It will click into place.
NOTE: Maximum size for the SD card is 32GB. Anything larger and it likely will not record.
To record radio sweep audio, first start the sweep in the direction you prefer. Once the sweep has begun press RECORD (16). A ‘SD’ icon will appear on the screen to indicate it is recording to the SD card.
To stop recording press RECORD (16) again. Stop recording after each session to save the file properly. As soon as you stop the recording it will play the latest recording for review.
While recording you can start, pause or change direction on the sweep as you wish.
To record EVPs or voice only press MODE (17) to ‘Playback’ mode then press record. This will begin recording from a built-in microphone. You cannot use the radio sweep in this mode.
To access recorded files you can do either:
- Remove SD card from the memory slot (4) and insert it into a computer using any micro SD card reader.
- Plug SBox directly into a computer via the USB data port (8) using the provided USB cable (normal size USB on both ends).
PLAYBACKTo play audio files from the SD card press MODE (17) to ‘Playback’.
Press FORWARD (15) or BACK (11) to select a file. Sbox will play the audio file. Each file is indicated by a number in sequence.
Press SCAN (13) again to pause playback.
Press FILE (12) to loop play the current audio file. Press FILE again to play continue through playing all files.
FILE MANAGEMENTTo transfer or view the files on the SBox SD card plug the USB data cable (BLACK) into a computer. The SBox display will show 'PC' and a drive should show active on your computer momentarily.
To delete files, we suggest plugging the SBox into your computer or inserting the SD card into your computer. Though you can manage the files on the SBox, it's so much easier to do on the computer. If your computer doesn't have an SD slot you can get a USB card reader adapter that the SD card goes into.
To delete recorded files on the SBox directly press the MODE (17) button to get into 'Playback' mode. Press FORWARD (15) or BACK (11) until you get to the desired file. Each file is numbered sequentially. Make sure to listen to the file to note which one you want to delete to ensure you don't delete something you want to keep. To delete the file you're listing to press 'X' (14). This will delete the file PERMANENTLY. So, be sure you've got the right file.
UPDATING YOUR FIRMWARE VERSIONIMPORTANT: If you would like to update or use a legacy firmware version, please CONTACT US FIRST so we can provide the proper file needed for the update. Each update file is dependent on what version you currently have. If you use the incorrect update file, your unit could be unrecoverable. We cannot provide a new SBox if the unit has been updated using incorrect software.
Steps for updating your SBox with your prefered version:
- Download the version file you prefer on a desktop computer or laptop. Once downloaded, you should find the file in your default downloads folder or desktop. The file is called 'jl_690x.bfu'.
- Insert a Micro SD card into the SBox (max 32GB).
- Turn SBox on.
- Plug the SBox into your computer via the black USB cable (male/male). Display will show 'PC' when it is connected.
- A new drive will popup on your computer.
- Copy the downloaded SBox firmware file to the SBox SD card.
- Unplug the USB from the SBox.
- Eject the SD card from SBox and put it right back in.
- SBox will update on it's own and reboot itself. The screen may show a few weird dashes while updating. Once you hear 'SBox' again, it is now updated.
- Plug the USB cable back into the SBox and remove the firmware update file from the SD card. The is necessary to keep it from updating every time you access the SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and go investigating with your updated SBox!
BLUETOOTH SETUPSBox can be used as a wireless speaker for a smart device like a phone or tablet. To use SBox as a speaker you must first initiate a bluetooth connection between the devices.
- Turn SBox on.
- Press MODE (17) until you hear 'Bluetooth'.
- Turn on the bluetooth enabled device you wish to use as the audio source (ie phone, tablet, watch, etc.).
- Make sure bluetooth is turned ON on your device and searching for bluetooth devices. Going about this is different on every device. So, you'll have to see the manual for your own device on how to do this.
- SBox will be discoverable and show up as 'BT_SDK_0'. Connect to that. Once connected you will here a chime.
- Play something from your audio source and you will hear it through the SBox speaker. Make sure to turn the volume up. The distance bluetooth will work varies and is dependent on the source device signal strength.
a huge upgrade from the sb7 or sb11. I love how you can record, or use as evp. It works great. I plan to use as well for picnics as a radio so I wont use up cell phone battery. but as a ghost box, the best out there.
Thank you for my sbox! I love it! I got it today. Wed. Feb the 3rd. It came when you said it would and I got it on time. It works perfectly! Now we can ghost hunting the right way! We will be back to get more! I rate this beyond a 10!
I own both the SBox and the SB7. Hands down the S box has so many great features. SBox is my go to spirit box every time. You guys thought of everything. Awesome design. I could go on and on about all the great features the S box has. I never go on a investigation without it and never will. Keep up the Great work.
The Ghost Stop Spirit has really enhanced my paranormal teams investigations. It is so slim and compact it fits right in my back pocket, also has a strap that I can loop around my wrist, belt loop or hang it somewhere to go hands free. The speaker is astounding. At full volume you can still hear it clearly from another room. The pause feature is priceless! No more guessing games, it allows the word to be finished. The ability to record itself is super helpful and requires less equipment. Definitly a great purchase!
It's compact, but don't call it little. It gets super loud and as a seasoned veteran ghost hunter, I love using tech in this field. I can safely say, this company has got a new customer
I knew there were angels and spirit guides around me guiding me but this is the one item that gaved me the proof I needed! Instant Yes and no to my questions! The unit is loud enough so you don't need amplified speaker. My best purchase ever!!!
I love this thing itâ€™s so much easier to use than my old one itâ€™s loud so I donâ€™t even need my speaker, my other one if I didnâ€™t have my speaker you couldnâ€™t hear it and I always had to lug around a long ass aux cord with it cause thatâ€™s all we had this is so much easier an more convenient. It even speaks! An says the mode youâ€™re using lol.
I recently decided to try a spirit box, as I finally got around to moving up with technology, and thought "why not". Personally, I find the FM band radio to be a bit TOO strong in that respect, as I can pick up sounds of broadcasts that could be interpreted as false positives... but, it does what it's intended to do. I like the AM band scan a bit better, as there's more white noise from that, and less opportunity for pareidolia to kick in by hearing a fast snippet of someone speaking. But, amazingly, after taking some time, and patiently setting up a communication setting, I received a clear-as-day response to my asking of my name as "Edward" in my deceased mother's Australian accent. Noting the general area that the AM scan was in, I went to a regular radio, and tried to find a working AM channel in that range, and nothing within 100 khz of the point where the communication occurred... so definitely an exciting response! That alone is worth the price of the product to me!
I ordered mine on a Thursday morning and got it the Monday right after so first of all, they have great shipping. The packaging was very well done too so there was no damage. The product itself is very sleek and nice looking. Its very loud but has adjustable volume so that's nice. The flashlight is bright and I like that we can record and transfer anything that we catch. Also, it makes a great radio!
SBox Spirit Box - Product 360
360 view of the SBox Ghost Scanner - ghost box and recorder al...
GhostStop's SBox Ghost Scanner PRODUCT REVIEW!!
www.ghoststop.com tags paranormal,activity,captured,caught,cam...
SBox Ghost scanner review
A quick tutorial on the Sbox from Ghoststop.com https://www.g...
UPDATE: SBox Ghost Box Adjustable Sweep Speed Feature
The Adjustable Scan Speed update for the SBox Ghost Scanner, a...