SBox Ghost Scanner + Recorder
The SBox Ghost Scanner is a spirit box radio frequency sweep scanner and recorder for paranormal research. SBox includes many other features to aid in making your investigations easier while providing quality evidence documentation.
- Automatic FM/AM Radio Sweep + Spike Detect
- Record & Playback Radio Sweep and EVP Audio
- Adjustable Sweep Speed Control
- Rechargeable Battery and Long Life
- SD Card Port for Recording (32GB Max)
- Forward or Reverse Sweep Direction
- Loud, Amplified Speaker (10x power) and Headphone Port
- Backlit Display and Built-in Flashlight
- Bluetooth Connection for Use as a Wireless Speaker
SBox is a NEW spirit box built specifically for paranormal investigations with features we need. It's a compact and easy to use tool for communication with paranormal entities. SBox utilizes radio frequency sweeps to generate white noise from existing FM and AM bands which theories suggest may provide an entity the energy they need to be heard. When this occurs you may hear voices or sounds coming through the static in their attempt to communicate.
VIDEO: Sbox Ghost Scanner Review and Overview of Features
Radio Sweep with Spike Detect
SBox allows you to use FM or AM band sweeps for potential communication with an entity. You can now control the speed of the sweep and direction at any time, forward and backward. As an additional features, SBox will detect if something is attempting to come through during the sweep and will pause on that frequency for a moment more to allow more time for getting a message through. This allows you the opportunity to hear more than one syllable to capture multiple words and maybe even a full sentence.
Record and Playback
Record your ghost box sessions through a direct line and play back using the loud built-in speaker. You can also choose to record normal EVP audio without the radio sweep if you choose. Either option records directly to an SD card (available as an add-on). You can playback right on the device or take the SD card to your computer or any other SD card reading device.
NOTE: a Micro SD card is REQUIRED for record and playback. These are available as an add-on above. Maximum size for the SD card is 32GB which will get you through many hours and several investigations.
Rechargeable Long-Life battery
The built in battery lasts up to 6 hours of continuous use on a single charge. It can be recharged using any USB charger including a mobile USB battery pack for a quick boost. Carry it with a battery pack or plug it into a wall outlet for unlimited use. It's easy, quick and saves money on batteries. Note: some functions eat up battery life. See specs for details.
Loud, Amplified Speaker and Headphone Port
There's no need to an external speaker with this device. It includes a large, amplified built-in speaker made to be heard well even in a large room. If you really want it louder, there is an audio output jack which you can attach to another audio device including headphones. Grab a set of headphones when you want a more discreet session without interrupting other investigators. SBox can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker when connected to another Bluetooth-enabled device.
Backlight and Flashlight
SBox has a red LCD lighted display. We prefer to use red when possible to help maintain the investigator's night vision. The display indicates battery life and status of the device which varies for each mode. There is also a built-in white LED flashlight for when you need to shed a little light on the situation.
The SBox was built to EVOLVE. As we learn, grow and adapt as investigators, so can the SBox. We built it with the ability to make software changes that you can download and update yourself based on preferences you feel work best for you. This also allows us to add and adjust features without purchasing a new unit. We are working on these based on YOUR FEEDBACK. We can provide you with a file for download with instruction on how to easily update your SBox.
Same features as 1.3 with minor adjustment in speed control and battery indication.
(pre-loaded on units starting 1/15/19)
Adjustable speed control.
(pre-loaded on units starting 11/20/18. created: 11/20/18)
Slow scanning speed with Spike Detect.
(original pre-loaded version. created: 10/8/18)
Fast scanning speed.
(pre-loaded on units starting 11/13/18. created: 11/1/18)
IMPORTANT: If you would like to update or use a legacy firmware version, please CONTACT US FIRST so we can provide the proper file needed for the update. Each update file is dependent on what version you currently have. If you use the incorrect update file, your unit could be unrecoverable.
HOW to find what version you have: 1) Turn on the SBox. 2) Press the FILE button located on the front, bottom-left most button with a file icon. The display will show the version number (example: V1.6). If this button does not work, the version is prior to 1.3.
- Faraday Wallet - place SBox or SB7 inside this pouch to remove any outside FM/AM broadcast.
- Protective Gear Pouch - padded nylon case with velcro, carabiner and belt loop for carrying ease.
- Micro SD Card - required for recording and playback of audio. Select the option above in ACCESSORIES prior to checkout.
- Faraday Pouch - place SBox or SB7 inside this pouch to remove any outside FM/AM broadcast.
- USB Battery Pack - for when you need an extra charge on the go.
This product is made right here at GhostStop.
- Rechargeable and replaceable long life lithium ion battery
- 3-Watt (3,000mW) amplified speaker built in (over 10x the power in popular spirit boxes)
- FM scan range: 87.5 - 108.0 / AM scan range: 522 - 1710
- Adjustable sweep speed control - 4 different speeds +1 bonus speed while recording with firmware version 1.3 or higher (Speed 1 = ~100ms | Speed 2 = ~200ms | Speed 3 = ~300ms | Speed 4 = ~400ms | Bonus Speed 1 while recording = ~500ms)
- Red LCD display to preserve night vision
- Scratch resistant coating
- Precision volume control wheel
- Micro SD card slot for recording and playback (32GB max)
- Onboard white LED flashlight
- Headphone port USB data port for file transfer/sharing
- USB charging port
- Antenna extends to 15" and folds back into place (4" when retracted)
- Wrist strap with connected stand
- USB data and charging cables included
Battery LifeThe built in battery lasts up to 6 hours of continuous use on a single charge. It can be recharged using any USB charger including a mobile USB battery pack for a quick boost. Carry it with a battery pack or plug it into a wall outlet for unlimited use. It's easy, quick and saves money on batteries. Recording function and speaker volume does drain battery depending on settings: louder drains more power.
NOTE: We suggest taking the battery out of the SBox when storing. Since the flashlight is always in a 'standby mode' even when the unit is off, it does drain the battery very slightly over time. So, if SBox is stored for some time in a case, even with a full charge, it will come out with a drained battery.
Battery Tests:6 hours in standby (no scanning) 6 hours scanning using headphones 4.5 hours scanning with speaker at volume 15 3.75 hours scanning and recording with speaker at volume 15 3.75 hours scanning with speaker volume at 25
- USB charger cable (white)
- USB data cable (black)
- Wrist strap with stand
- Printed manual
4 Micro SD Card Slot (32GB max)
7 Headphone Port
8 USB Port
9 Charging/Aux Input Port
11 Scan Reverse or Scan Slower
12 Loop File / Play All
14 Delete File
15 Scan Forward or Scan Faster
QUICK START GUIDE
- Charge before use. (see charging instructions)
- Turn device on using ON/OFF slider button (2).
- Press SCAN (13) to begin FM Scan Forward.
- Press RECORD (16) to record (requires SD card). Press RECORD (16) again to stop recording.
- Turn device off using ON/OFF slider button (2).
POWER & CHARGINGSBox is powered by a rechargeable battery. To charge the device use the provided USB charging cable (WHITE) to connect to a USB power source. This could be a computer with a USB power, USB power strip or USB battery pack for quick mobile power. When charging the flashlight LED will show red and will turn off once complete. To plug the device into a AC power outlet, you will need to use a USB to AC power adapter (not provided). When SBox is powered on you will see a battery icon to the left of the display indicating battery life.
NOTE: We suggest taking the battery out of the SBox when storing. Since the flashlight is always in a 'standby mode' even when the unit is off, it does drain the battery very slightly over time. Given that, if SBox is stored away with a full charge for some time it will come out with a drained battery.
MODESTo change modes press the MODE button (17). When switching modes you will hear a verbal queue to indicate each mode as follows. It may take a moment to switch modes.
- SCANNING FM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the FM band.
- SCANNING AM
This mode is used for conducting spirit box sweep sessions using the AM band.
- LINE IN
This mode allows you to plug in an audio device to use the SBox as an external wired speaker. Use the provided 3.5 audio-to-microUSB cable to connect another compatible audio device.
This mode allows you to connect a bluetooth audio device to use the SBox as an external wireless speaker.
This mode allows you to play recorded spirit box sessions and other audio files on the memory card or from a USB drive.
SCANNINGPress SCAN (13) to start and stop the sweep.
To change sweep direction: while the scan is stopped hold REVERSE (11) for 2 seconds to sweep in the reverse direction or hold FORWARD (15) to sweep forward. If a sweep is already active you must press SCAN (13) again to stop the current sweep and resume in the desired direction.
To change sweep speed (available only on firmware V1.3): press FORWARD (15) to make the scan faster or REVERSE (11) to make the scan slower. You will see a number display quickly on the screen "1-4". This indicates the speed where 1 is the slowest and 4 is the fastest. You can do this while sweeping or even when it's paused.
Press RECORD (16) to record sweep audio.
RECORDTo record sweep or EVP audio you must first insert a micro SD card into the port at the top of the device (4). Make sure to face it in the proper direction to insert properly. It will click into place.
NOTE: Maximum size for the SD card is 32GB. Anything larger and it likely will not record.
To record radio sweep audio, first start the sweep in the direction you prefer. Once the sweep has begun press RECORD (16). A ‘SD’ icon will appear on the screen to indicate it is recording to the SD card.
To stop recording press RECORD (16) again. Stop recording after each session to save the file properly. As soon as you stop the recording it will play the latest recording for review.
While recording you can start, pause or change direction on the sweep as you wish.
To record EVPs or voice only press MODE (17) to ‘Playback’ mode then press record. This will begin recording from a built-in microphone. You cannot use the radio sweep in this mode.
To access recorded files you can do either:
- Remove SD card from the memory slot (4) and insert it into a computer using any micro SD card reader.
- Plug SBox directly into a computer via the USB data port (8) using the provided USB cable (normal size USB on both ends).
PLAYBACKTo play audio files from the SD card press MODE (17) to ‘Playback’.
Press FORWARD (15) or BACK (11) to select a file. Sbox will play the audio file. Each file is indicated by a number in sequence.
Press SCAN (13) again to pause playback.
Press FILE (12) to loop play the current audio file. Press FILE again to play continue through playing all files.
FILE MANAGEMENTTo transfer or view the files on the SBox SD card plug the USB data cable (BLACK) into a computer. The SBox display will show 'PC' and a drive should show active on your computer momentarily.
To delete files, we suggest plugging the SBox into your computer or inserting the SD card into your computer. Though you can manage the files on the SBox, it's so much easier to do on the computer. If your computer doesn't have an SD slot you can get a USB card reader adapter that the SD card goes into.
To delete recorded files on the SBox directly press the MODE (17) button to get into 'Playback' mode. Press FORWARD (15) or BACK (11) until you get to the desired file. Each file is numbered sequentially. Make sure to listen to the file to note which one you want to delete to ensure you don't delete something you want to keep. To delete the file you're listing to press 'X' (14). This will delete the file PERMANENTLY. So, be sure you've got the right file.
UPDATING YOUR FIRMWARE VERSIONIMPORTANT: If you would like to update or use a legacy firmware version, please CONTACT US FIRST so we can provide the proper file needed for the update. Each update file is dependent on what version you currently have. If you use the incorrect update file, your unit could be unrecoverable. We cannot provide a new SBox if the unit has been updated using incorrect software.
Steps for updating your SBox with your prefered version:
- Download the version file you prefer on a desktop computer or laptop. Once downloaded, you should find the file in your default downloads folder or desktop. The file is called 'jl_690x.bfu'.
- Insert a Micro SD card into the SBox (max 32GB).
- Turn SBox on.
- Plug the SBox into your computer via the black USB cable (male/male). Display will show 'PC' when it is connected.
- A new drive will popup on your computer.
- Copy the downloaded SBox firmware file to the SBox SD card.
- Unplug the USB from the SBox.
- Eject the SD card from SBox and put it right back in.
- SBox will update on it's own and reboot itself. The screen may show a few weird dashes while updating. Once you hear 'SBox' again, it is now updated.
- Plug the USB cable back into the SBox and remove the firmware update file from the SD card. The is necessary to keep it from updating every time you access the SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and go investigating with your updated SBox!
BLUETOOTH SETUPSBox can be used as a wireless speaker for a smart device like a phone or tablet. To use SBox as a speaker you must first initiate a bluetooth connection between the devices.
- Turn SBox on.
- Press MODE (17) until you hear 'Bluetooth'.
- Turn on the bluetooth enabled device you wish to use as the audio source (ie phone, tablet, watch, etc.).
- Make sure bluetooth is turned ON on your device and searching for bluetooth devices. Going about this is different on every device. So, you'll have to see the manual for your own device on how to do this.
- SBox will be discoverable and show up as 'BT_SDK_0'. Connect to that. Once connected you will here a chime.
- Play something from your audio source and you will hear it through the SBox speaker. Make sure to turn the volume up. The distance bluetooth will work varies and is dependent on the source device signal strength.
No more using a recorder because it is built in along with a flashlight. If you want the Ghost Box with the most hit up my man Shawn at GhostStop and get ya one!
One of my clients described the new Sbox as a sexy beast! Its compact, does exactly what it says it will do. Being able to record and review is awesome! We used it at Jenolan Caves/Australia the other weekend with the same male voice coming through answering intelligently....and whistling!!! Its getting 5 stars from me!
Recording! Why has no one done this before? I like that it records direct not through a speaker to a microphone like we used to do with a separate recorder. So, that's brilliant. And the spike detect is cool. Definitely helps decipher between spirits and normal radio chatter. On that note, just use a Faraday Pouch as they suggested to get rid of radio broadcast. You'll be glad you did when something comes through and you KNOW it's not the radio.
Awesome little gadget! Basically a 'smart' spirit box, has many cool features that use updated tech to improve on spirit box devices. Plus itâ€™s portable like a small phone. Rechargeable feature means no more batteries! Like the best parts of spirit boxes and a digital recorder mixed into one unit. Very cool, SB-7 users may want to pick one up and at least try it out!
SBox Spirit Box - Product 360
360 view of the SBox Ghost Scanner - ghost box and recorder al...
GhostStop's SBox Ghost Scanner PRODUCT REVIEW!!
www.ghoststop.com tags paranormal,activity,captured,caught,cam...
SBox Ghost scanner review
A quick tutorial on the Sbox from Ghoststop.com https://www.g...
UPDATE: SBox Ghost Box Adjustable Sweep Speed Feature
The Adjustable Scan Speed update for the SBox Ghost Scanner, a...